Thursday, September 14, 2006

Ideas

With all my newfound free time while tapering I've come up with some new ideas. I have a habit of taking things to extremes and my experience with triathlon has been no different. Except I really believe this is the right direction for me and something I will always be involved in.

So I've been thinking for awhile about how I can get more involved or even make this a part of my career. Nothing had really come to me, except coaching which I know I am not ready for. Probably need to do more than one ironman for that.

Recently things have started to fall into place in an interesting way. It all started with seeing a flyer for the IronKids triathlon, which happens to be taking place down the street, and deciding to volunteer. So I've been emailing the race director, who is also training for an ironman. Then I emailed Mike Ricci about getting into coaching at some point who suggested getting involved with youth multisport. After going to the USA Triathlon website I started thinking about a kids triathlon club and wondering if there was one around here.

See my degree is in psychology/special education and a lot of my experience is with parks and rec., and summer camps. I also taught swimming lessons with a former pro triathlete who now has a business managing swim teams and teaching lessons. So I talked to the IronKids race director about it who informed me that Liz Dobbins will be there this weekend and he would introduce me to her.

I had no idea who Liz Dobbins was but apparently she used to be the chairperson for the Age Group Commission and the Women's Commission for USA Triathlon. And she did research on putting a multisport curriculum in high schools. I think she also wrote a book. And she just happens to live in the same town as me. So this is good. I really feel like something could come out of this. It seems like everything has nicely fallen into place lately.

If anyone has any ideas or input I would love to hear them. I'm trying not to get overly hopeful but I am pretty excited about it. Being in the right place at the right time is always good.

No comments: